Sunday 23 May 2010

徽宗之書: 美, 寂, 詩 Song Huizong


The refined elegance and subtle beauty of Song dynasty "artist emperor" Huizong's calligraphy, Slender Gold (also known as the Crane Font; 瘦金書, 雅稱鶴體), emanates a soft hue of loneliness, a sense of time past, which I have always been deeply attracted to and in love with. It is exquisitely scented nostalgia, melodious and poetic memories. It is Rilke's poetry of all my heart. It is Rosa Ponselle's sorrowful voice lamenting lost love in her haunting rendition of Massenet's Élégie.

Huizong's Slender Gold also has a special place in my heart because it dearly reminds me of my grandfather's calligraphy (in particular his 小楷 — small script) and handwriting. My grandfather used to fill the margins of his books with thoughtful notes and endless, beautiful words.


Emperor Huizong of Song (Poem and Calligraphy)

宋徽宗 瘦金書


I am too alone in the world, and not alone enough
to make every minute holy.
I am too tiny in this world, and not tiny enough
just to lie before you like a thing,
shrewd and secretive.
I want my own will, and I want simply to be with my will,
as it goes toward action,
and in the silent, sometimes hardly moving times
when something is coming near,
I want to be with those who know secret things
or else alone.
I want to be a mirror for your whole body,
and I never want to be blind, or to be too old
to hold up your heavy and swaying picture.
I want to unfold.
I don't want to stay folded anywhere,
because where I am folded, there I am a lie.
And I want my grasp of things
true before you. I want to describe myself
like a painting that I looked at
closely for a long time,
like a saying that I finally understood,
like the pitcher I use every day,
like the face of my mother,
like a ship
that took me safely
through the wildest storm of all.

~Rainer Maria Rilke, translated by Robert Bly




Rosa Ponselle (1897~1981) singing Jules Émile Frédéric Massenet's Élégie / Elegy for Victor, in 1926.



Ô, doux printemps d'autre fois, vertes saisons,
Vous avez fui pour toujours!
Je ne vois plus le ciel bleu;
Je n'entends plus les chants joyeux des oiseaux!
En emportant mon bonheur...
Ô bien-amé, tu t'en es allé!
Et c'est en vain que revient le printemps!
Oui, sans retour,
avec toi, le gai soleil,
Les jours riants sont partis!
Comme en mon coeur tout est sombre et glacé!
Tout est flétri
pour toujours!

Emperor Huizong of Song, Cranes 1112

O sweet springtimes of old verdant seasons
You have fled forever
I no longer see the blue sky
I no longer hear the bird's joyful singing
And, taking my happiness with you
You have gone on your way my love!
In vain Spring returns
Yes, never comes back
The bright sun has gone with you
The days of happiness have fled
How gloomy and cold is my heart
All is withered
Forever

Emperor Huizong of Song, Classic Thousand-character Grass (Cursive) Script

1 comment:

Unknown said...

beautiful post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...