Sunday 8 November 2009

Poetry (iii): Love is a smoke raised with the fume of sighs

*Dedicated to David my love.

Why, such is love's transgression.
Griefs of mine own lie heavy in my breast,
Which thou wilt propagate, to have it prest
With more of thine: this love that thou hast shown
Doth add more grief to too much of mine own.
Love is a smoke raised with the fume of sighs;
Being purged, a fire sparkling in lovers' eyes;
Being vex'd a sea nourish'd with lovers' tears:
What is it else? a madness most discreet,
A choking gall and a preserving sweet.


(Romeo and Juliet: Act 1, Scene 1)


Portrait of Jeanne Hébuterne (1898-1920). My favourite painting by Amedeo Modigliani (1884-1920).


Helen of Troy, 1863, by Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1828-1882). Oil on canvas, 31 x 71 cm. Kunsthalle, Hamburg Germany.
*For the complete writings and pictures of Dante Gabriel Rossetti, visit the Rossetti Archive (it takes time to load).

3 comments:

{Tara} said...

Both of these paintings are incredible...Modigliani had such a way with eyes -- they always seem so deep and eerie.

Poesis said...

Indeed... Those icy, transluscent blue eyes in his portraits of Jeanne were exactly what drew me to his paintings in the first place. Seemingly emotion-less, aloof and detached, but they say so much more. There's one of the pregnant Jeanne with exactly those light blue eyes - contrasting in such a striking way with the warm glow of the rest of the painting (shades of orange, yellow, red etc). Whatever happened between them, I feel his love for her when I look at these portraits.

lune_blanc said...

To be very honest, I'm not very crazy about Modigliani, but that portrait of Jeanne is special. I'm drawn to it every time I see it.
Rossetti, I always liked.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...