Wednesday 10 June 2009

The Beauty and Wonder that is Cloud Gate


In this post I would like to share some wonderful photographs of Cloud Gate Dance Theatre (one of my favourite dance companies in the world). I grew up with Cloud Gate and Lin Hwai-Min's choreographic works, but it was not until I went to their Moon Water premiere performance in London that I felt I had finally entered into the spiritual world of Lin Hwai-Min, and was able to properly appreciate the beauty of Cloud Gate. Moon Water, along with Cursive Trilogy (Cursive, Cursive II and Wild Cursive) remain to be my favourite works of Cloud Gate's gems.

水月 (Moon Water): set to Bach's serene Suites for Unaccompanied Cello, Moon Water represents a dream, like the reflection of the moon in water, the flower seen only from within a mirror. It is Tai Chi in dance form.








狂草/行草 (Wild Cursive/ Cursive I & II): inspired by the aesthetics, spirit and essence of Chinese calligraphy. All three pieces in Cursive Trilogy are such stunning works of art that the sheer beauty and strength completely take my breath away.






雲門舞者周章佞在莫斯科最古老的馬利劇院排練《行草》。攝影/林敬凱
(Cloud Gate rehearsal of "Cursive" in the oldest theatre of Moscow - the Maly Theatre.)




九歌 - 湘夫人 (Nine Songs): inspired by Jiu Ge, a set of ritualistic short poems written more than 2,400 years ago and attributed to Qu Yuan, one of the greatest Chinese poets. They were published in Chu Ci (楚辭 Songs of Chu, or Songs of the South) and are amongst the finest examples of shamanic poetry in ancient China.



紅樓夢 (The Dream of Red Mansions): inspired by the Qing Dynasty masterpiece of Chinese literature - Dream of the Red Chamber - one of the Four Great Classical Novels.


竹夢 (Bamboo Dream)



花語 (Whisper of Flowers)





2 comments:

easytravel said...

great picture, I like to see.Thanks for share. see you on my blog also. I'll wait your coming

lune_blanc said...

So beautiful. I hope to see their performance someday...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...