Friday 22 April 2011

A Frozen Kiss under Beethoven's Moonlight




All of a sudden, out of the blue, I decided to look up the Russian figure skating husband-and-wife team Ekaterina Gordeeva and Sergei Grinkov, whom I discovered and loved years ago when I was in middle school. I found quite a few video clips of their beautiful 1993/1994 long programme (entitled 'Moonlight Sonata') set to Beethoven's Sonatas Moonlight and Pathétique. Back then it instantly caught my eyes. I fell in love with this unique performance and the very special couple, around the same time I encountered rhythmic gymnast Maria Petrova's beauty, soul and artistry (I have written a post on Maria Petrova before - Silk and Steel). For me, the aura, simplicity, harmony and elegance in their performance, are what distinguish them as artists in the field of competitive sports.




Long program (Moonlight Sonata) 1993-94
Choreography: Marina Zueva
Music: Beethoven's Sonatas: "Pathetique" No.8 and "Moonlight" No.14 (Adagio & Allegretto)
Performances:
Skate Canada (Ottawa) 1993
Russian Championships (Saint Petersburg) 1994
European Championships (Copenhagen Denmark) 1994
XVII Winter Olympics (Lillehammer Norway) 1994


*Read more about Ekaterina Gordeeva & Sergei Grinkov here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...