Tuesday 14 April 2009

Seeing with Mind's Eyes — Colours of Japan

Some photographs taken during my first trip (ever!) to Japan in January 2009—Tokyo, and the most magical place I have ever visited, Kyoto. The beauty of Kyoto is sublime and very inspiring, and the city has a wonderfully spiritual feel to it, so amazingly rich in culture and art. People in Kyoto are also very friendly, and I felt relaxed (despite being completely unlike me and visited 12 sites in 3 days!) and at ease being there. I like how Kyoto still has a rather traditional atmosphere. I find it a personable and lovely place, in addition to (and in spite of) its overwhelming cultural significance.

Green (京都 西芳寺). Saihoji, Kyoto.
Unlike other famous temples, Saihoji is located in a secluded residential area quite far away from the city centre. Before allowed to wander around the moss garden, we went through zazen and chanting of Prajñāpāramitā (Heart Sutra) in a beautiful little room even more freezing cold than outdoors! The pond is shaped in the Chinese character 心 'shin' (meaning 'heart' or 'mind'). It was a rather surreal experience.

Red (京都 伏見稻荷大社). Fushimi Inari Taisha, Kyoto.

Pink (東京 明治神宮). Saké offerings at Meiji Jingu, Tokyo.

Brick (京都 南禅寺). Nanzenji, Kyoto.

Rainbow (京都 伏見稻荷大社/ Fushimi Inari Taisha, Kyoto). Ema (絵馬/ wooden plaques) and Senbazuru (千羽鶴/ Thousand Cranes) are handmade by people embarking on pilgrimage to the shrine for their prayers to be answered and wishes to come true.

Azure, orange & grey (京都 清水寺/ Kiyomizudera, Kyoto).

Champagne, onyx & red. Close-up of the wallpaper in our hotel room in Tokyo.

Pastels. Lovely wintertime florals near Ginkakuji (京都 銀閣寺).

Gold (京都 金閣寺). Kinkakuji, Kyoto.
Like Sanjusangendo, Kinkakuji is an "experiential" place. Unless one is actually there, seeing the golden-hued, perfectly balanced and harmonious reflection of this extraordinary beauty upon the Tranquility Pond, it is impossible to express how transcendent and mind-blowingly stunning the whole experience is, however many iconic photographs one might have seen. The aura and gorgeousness of Kinkakuji simply cannot be expressed with words or conveyed in photographs.

Celadon (東京 明治神宮). Meiji Jingu, Tokyo.

Terracotta (Floating masks at Touzan - a great Japanese restaurant inside Hyatt Regency Kyoto.)

Tibetan yellow (東京 明治神宮). Meiji Jingu, Tokyo.

Sky, ebony & white (京都 八坂神社/ Yasaka Shrine, Kyoto).

Orange (京都 八坂神社/ Yasaka Shrine, Kyoto).

Canary (near 京都 鈴蟲寺/ Suzumushidera, Kyoto).

Lake green, orange & black (京都 伏見稻荷大社/ Fushimi Inari Taisha, Kyoto).

Gorgeous shop window on Shijo-dori in Kyoto.

Jasper & jade (京都 八坂神社/ Yasaka Shrine, Kyoto).

Purple & red (東京 明治神宮). Saké offerings at Meiji Jingu, Tokyo.
Brick, beige & grey (Kyoto National Museum).
Kyoto National Museum is a beautiful building, a rather interesting contrast to all the temples and shrines with a distinctive Japanese aesthetic. Works very well in my opinion.

Orange, white & celadon (東京 明治神宮). Meiji Jingu, Tokyo

Orange & grey (京都 三十三間堂/ Sanjusangendo - officially known as "Rengeō-in" 蓮華王院, Kyoto).

Red & rainbows (Wedding shop window at Meiji Jingu).

Blue, grey & white (京都 南禅寺). Nanzenji, Kyoto.

Cobalt & chartreuse (Hyatt Regency Kyoto).

If you would like to see more photographs of my Japan trip, visit here, here and here. The albums also include some shots taken in Singapore and Taiwan.

8 comments:

EHWang said...

This is fantastic!!
I wish I can visit the moss temple in the future.
I like the arrangement of your photos, a contrasting yet interesting transition of color (green to red) and emotion (serenity to crowdedness) for the first two pictures.

Gabbi said...

Lovel post, I feel like I just took a short trip! Thank you for sharing... :)

Poesis said...

Thank you Gabbi! Really glad that you enjoyed this post - hopefully it manages to convey the beauty of Kyoto, even if only in a small way... And thank you for taking the time to look at my blog! I do hope to see you often from now on (appreciate your other lovely comments too!). Will check out yours regularly as well. x

Mary-Laure said...

Thank you so much for these pics. I went to Japan 10 years ago and the beauty of its gardens and art changed my life.

Poesis said...

Thank you Mary-Laure for coming here! I really agree with you: there is no place like Kyoto, it is so special. (I'm sure many other parts of Japan as well, but my trip to Japan was far too short...) Wish I lived in Asia and could visit (relatively) often. P.S. You have such *GORGEOUS* images on your blog - I love them! :-)

lune_blanc said...

I adore your talent in photography and great sense of colours. Everything looks so vibrant. Kyoto is one of my favorite places in Japan too, the whole city is a unique mixture of traditional and modern, yet so relaxing and natural compared to the rashness of Tokyo. It's
always interesting to know how people from differen countries see Japanese culture and art, you have wonderful eye for beauty.

Poesis said...

Thank you dearest Michiko - appreciation coming from you means a lot to me! I love Japan so much. Everything about it impressed, charmed and fascinated me. (Not sure if you know this, but I studied Asian/African art history in university and did my thesis on Japanese calligraphic aesthetics and poetry prints. So I am a big fan of your art & culture indeed.) If I had my way, Japan would be the ONLY holiday destination for me from now on - that is how much I'd love to return to and explore it.

P.s. I've been re-watching "Jammin' the Blues" these days, and must say that I'm really into it now after developing a real penchant for Gjon Mili's art, thanks to your introduction. Look forward to the album on scenery/nature which you plan to compile.

lune_blanc said...

You certainly know a lot better about Asian and Japanese art than I do! You also studied African art, that's interesting! I've always been interested in African art and culture, especially in relation to music. It's actaully only very recently that I rediscovered the beauty of the art of my own country, thanks to many non-japanese friends who love Japanese art and culture! lol
I love seeing Japanese art and culture from different perspectives (non-japanese perspective), even if, at times, they seem to ignore completely our traditional values and ideas. They make me discover something new and beautiful that we japanese could not notice in our own art. How we treat our own art and culture has become a bit of mannerism to me lol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...