Tuesday 7 April 2009

La belle au bois dormant

Tamara Rojo (Royal Ballet) as Princess Aurora
Alina Cojocaru (Royal Ballet) as Princess Aurora
Svetlana Zakharova (Bolshoi Ballet) as Princess Aurora, with La Scala Ballet in Milan.
Svetlana Zakharova as Princess Aurora in the Third Act
Below is a selection of my favourite pas de deux and variations from the ballet "Sleeping Beauty."

Although there are several versions (for instance Nureyev did a painfully technical and lengthy solo for the prince), the awakening scene in the second act of Sleeping Beauty has always been my favourite (indeed I love the whole of second act), especially with Tchaikovsky's beautiful score. Here is Darcey Bussell and Jonathan Cope in the Awakening pas de deux. Now Darcey is retired I start to miss seeing her gorgeous ballet body...



I adore Alina Cojocaru's lovely musicality in the Act I Aurora variation.

Here is another one of my favourite Aurora variation from Act II, danced by Alina Cojocaru.

Svetlana Zakharova in Sleeping Beauty.


Elisabeth Platel's exquisite Aurora variation from Act I.


Royal Ballet's production of Sleeping Beauty with Marianela Nuñez as Princess Aurora, Act I.


Now an interesting comparison with the classical ballet masterpiece Sleeping Beauty...

The premiere of "Amjad" at Sadler's Wells left quite an impression - classical ballet on speed & a cat fight on stage (not planned I believe!). At times unbearably vertiginous (though still with incredible precision and adherence to classicism), this is a piece that leaves you breathless and perhaps a bit confused - it almost feels like someone should be hospitalised after giving such a performance! The duet of two male dancers, one of whom on pointe, is very beautiful to watch (all pointe work in this piece is gorgeous). La La La Human Steps is not for everyone, but it certainly represents a unique dance language. I am still waiting for the brilliant music for "Amjad" (an intelligent and attractive twist on Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty) to be released on CD!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...