Friday 17 April 2009

The Goldberg of Gould

I am besotted. I am in love. This has to be one of the most beautiful Glenn Gould recordings of Bach's Goldberg Variations - so much so that it makes me feel all teary! I grew up listening to Gould's Bach, and to my mind he will always be the scholar and intellectual of Bach's music (and yet at the same time with tremendous emotional depth and strength), no matter what some critics might have to say about him or his music. I just adore the way he sang along when he played (apparently a habit developed as a child learning piano from his first teacher - his mother).

Many thanks to my very talented friend Jean-Marc for this video clip.


P.s. Sometimes you need to click on the mini floating screens (inside the big YouTube screen) if the list doesn't play smoothly (you will see a message saying "an error has occured"), as is true with all playlists of videos. However all clips on this blog should be working fine.

5 comments:

lune_blanc said...

I admire Glenn Gould and his music and his Bach too (though I have to say my understanding on them is very very limited yet, compared to your profound knowledge and love for them), thank you for this post!

Poesis said...

Haha I most certainly do not have profound knowledge of Bach or Gould, although I do love Bach's music very much. I remember during my 1st year in university, we could take a module outside our own department (and have a week or two to 'shop around' for it). I tried this course "Introduction to Musicology" in the music department - hugely interesting but it intimidated me so much that I never went back, lol! :p

I just listen to music and, if I like it, then I like it. For me what counts is if something touches my heart. I really think beauty, like happiness, is our true nature and [our response] should be simple. (Here I'm quoting my hubby in saying "happiness is your true nature.")

lune_blanc said...

I've always been interested in learning Musicology, and have tried to read some very introductory book on Musicology(as my father has several books on the subject) but I never got to finish reading any of them lol Sometimes I wished I had taken some sort of musical education when I was little, I feel it might have satisfied my curiosity on knowing what makes different kinds of music so attractive and beautiful and distinctive in their own way, but you're probably right, some things are more proper to be felt than studied (in words)....

Poesis said...

But you are a dancer! Dancers are amongst those who feel and understand music the most (and in a way like no one else)!

lune_blanc said...

You're right, that's true :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...